Kyoto Imperial Park
In the Edo period (1600-1868), there used to be about 200 imperial-related and nobles residents on the present site of the Kyoto Imperial Park.When Japan's capital was moved to Tokyo in the Meiji period (1868-1912), all the residences were dismantled.The site was re-established as a national park after World War II.
This shrine was founded in the early Heian period when Emperor Ninmyo (810-850) reigned.It was founded as the guardian shrine of the Imperial capital as a branch shrine of Shimo Izumo Shrine, one of Japan's oldest and most important shrines.Later the shrine was moved to another location.It was moved again in 1589 to its present site during the reconstruction of Kyoto planned by Toyotomi Hideyoshi (1537-1598).Today, the shrine serves as the guardian shrine for the Imperial Palace.
Themain shrine building is said to have been donated by Emperor Kokaku in1790. Every year on the third Sunday ofMay, an important festival is held here. Another important annual festival is held on August 17th and 18th duringwhich traditional Japanese dance and music is performed.
This river runs through the center of Kyoto and is a symbol of the city.The river runs from the Kumogahata area in the northern part of the city and joins the Takano River at Demachiyanagi.From Demachiyanagi, the river flows south and joins with the Katsura River in Fushimi ward.In total, the river is about 23 kilometers long.The river is first mentioned in Japanese historical records around 814.Since that time, the Kamo River has often appeared in important works of Japanese literature and history.The upstream and downstream parts of the river from Demachiyamagi have the same name written with different kanji characters.
The river used to serve as an important transportation route connecting Kyoto and Osaka.The banks of the river in the downtown area between Sanjo and Shijo are especially crowded with people, many of them young couples, in the afternoon, around sunset and in the evening.
This shrine enshrines the spirits of Sanjo Sanetsumu and Sanetomi (father and son) who were very influential politicians during the Meiji restoration (late 19th century).The shrine has a famous freshwater known as Samega-i that has long been regarded as one of the three best in Kyoto (the other two are now dry).The temple hosts a beautiful Hagi (bush clover) festival in September.
Many people visit the shrine and enjoy these beautiful flowers at this time.The shrine is also home to two famous graves: that of Japanese literary genius, Ueda Akinari (1734-1809), and Nobel-Prize-winning physicist Yukawa Hideki (1907-1981).
THE SCREEN is located on Teramachi Street. This important historical and commercial artery runs north to south along the east side of Kyoto Imperial Park.There are many traditional and unique shops minutes on foot from the hotel including antique shops, Japanese tea shops, ethnic goods, etc. Seikado (a traditional Japanese metal craft shop) and Ippodo (an exclusive Japanese tea shop) and other time-honored shops have long made Teramachi Street a popular shopping area.Compared to the busy shopping streets of Shinkyogoku Street or Kawaramachi Street, the section of Teramachi Street near the hotel is quiet and relaxing.
Kyoto City Hall
Kyoto City Hall was established in 1927 at the corner of Oike Street and Teramachi Street.Two famous Japanese architects, Goichi Takeda and Shinichi Nakano, who worked on many important projects (restoration of World Heritage temples, the design of Japan's parliament building, etc.), designed the building.
This theatre is a designated Kyoto cultural property.It is one of the 7 theatres dating from the early Edo period which received all of their official business exclusively from the Shogunate.It was named the Minamiza as it is located on the south (minami) side of Shijo Street.The present building was completed in 1929.
Every winter (late November to late December) since the Edo period, a large scale kabuki performance has been held here.For the performances, special large wooden signs called maneki, with the names of each of the star kabuki actors written on them in traditional calligraphy, are set up outside the theater.The theatre building was renovated in 1991, and today it is a popular venue for kabuki and many other traditional and modern entertainment forms.